Monday 5 November 2012

Chris Coghlan's Work

Skills needed in relation to the project

The skills that I and the team I am working with are more than suitable for this project, we have completed projects in the past in which artistic qualities were required. An example of this is in the Concept Art unit on my course, in which we had to research into concept art done by companies and then create our own concept art, in the form of fictional characters.
Another example would be that we did a Digital Graphic unit during our first year of college in which we had to create a box art for a new game for an existing company.
Another important skill to have in order to achieve success in this project is, management and organisational skills, this can be shown through group discussions in which someone in the team is appointed team leader, in which it developed their management skills when dealing with a team. Time management skills are also required, this is because without time management you might end up missing the deadline for the project, in which would inevitably fail the unit. Time management also falls down the organisation skill line due to the fact that without time management, there is little organisation within the group where the project is concerned.
Having an understanding, this may not seem much of a skill but having an understanding on the basis of what needs to be done in a project (getting from A to B as efficiently as possible) and knowing the task in hand can go a long way in being able to complete the teams goals, that being on an individual basis or when working within a group.

 

Chris Coghlan                                            

Date completed - 26/10/12

Task 1

Identify Resources and Materials Available

Isometric Paper
Isometric Paper is used to create concept drawings for the final product and can be used as a guideline in which we base our drawings of. The way it is done ‘Isometric’ is by the way it is styled, in the form of diagonal lines and with horizontal lines.
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word will be used in order to create our research documents such as this one, and the documents produced will be placed onto our blog.
Blogger
Blogger is a blog-publishing service that allows private or multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. In our case we have published a blog in which we showcase the current state of production and any thoughts/concepts that we have.
The website for our blog is – http://www.Unit4gamesdev.blogspot.com


Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is a graphics editing program developed and published by Adobe Systems. What we are creating in Photoshop, is pixel art in the form of isometric drawing (2D artistry with the look of 3D).

The Internet and books on isometric artistry will be our main source of inspiration and research for the project.

My Room

My room for this project will be based on the game ‘Pokémon’.
My room will be made with the style of isometric drawing with pixel art.
The Pokémon franchise has advanced over the years in terms of artwork and the reason why I chose Pokémon for my project is because of this change. If you take a version like ‘Fire Red’ (2004), you can see that the art style was in the form of ‘over the top’ 2D perspective giving the feel of a 3D environment. Today with the new Pokémon (Black 2 & White 2) you can see that the art style of focus for this game is isometric with keeping the same feel of a 3D environment.


 

 









What I want in my room

PokéBall

A PokéBall is a type of item that is critical to a Trainer’s quest, used for catching and storing Pokémon

Battlefield

For my room I want to create a battle scene involving Pokémon fighting on a similar scene like this one. The environment might differ from what is shown in the picture but the concept will be the same.

Pikachu

Pikachu one of the Pokémon that I have chosen because it is one of my favourite Pokémon plus it is the most recognised and is the mascot of the franchise.

Other details

I am going to include other things into my project such as trainers, other Pokémon, items etc. but I am undecided on what to pick.

An example of something I would like to do is something like this. What I’d like to do is keep all the old colours from my chosen game (in this case it is ‘Fire Red’ version) and implement into a bedroom form instead of a town like shown in this example.

My first character design
 Concepts and Designs
My second character design


A pokeball


My design for pikachu, as one of the pokemon owned by one of the trainers.

This is my current progress of this project at the end of the time given. My  characters have not been implemented into the scene yet.

Our Schedule

As you can see, we made a Gantt Chart to represent out timetable for the project.

My final assessment

Being that I had plenty of time to do the project, I focused my time on doing most of the documentation of the project. I found that even though my project does not reflect it, I feel that I have developed my skills for graphic, isometric design in which I can use for further projects if they arise.


No comments:

Post a Comment